Live the fantasy at EMP’s latest exhibit exploring the phenomenon of the music video.
EMP’s latest show is the first museum exhibition to celebrate the art and history of the music video through sight and sound. Discover the black and white musical Soundies of the 1940s featuring big band, jazz, and swing stars, and the French-made Scopitones of the 1960s. Relive MTV masterpieces and witness how megastars like Madonna, David Bowie, and Michael Jackson shaped—and re-shaped—their creative identities. Step into super-sized cinematic productions of today such as Steriogram’s Walkie Talkie Man directed by Michel Gondry, the crowdsourced Johnny Cash Project, and a special section dedicated to Seattle’s own Macklemore & Ryan Lewis—winners of four GRAMMY® awards including Best New Artist. With legendary props, interactive experiences, and more than 300 videos—and an in-depth examination of the special effects employed in their making—Spectacle: The Music Video traces the evolution of the genre and cements its place at the forefront of creative technology.
Celebrate the big opening party!
• OK Go Video Retrospective: See GRAMMY Award winners OK Go present a retrospective of their famously eccentric music videos and discuss their creative process.
• Big Screen Blowout: Prepare for audio visual thrills when EMP’s monumental Sky Church screen is taken over by Seattle’s premier tastemakers including VJs from Sub Pop Records, KEXP, Sync Music Video Festival, Decibel Festival, and World Famous.
• I Want My MTV: 80s Karaoke Lounge: Time travel to the golden age of music videos with Madonna, A-Ha, Duran Duran, Pat Benatar, and more.
• Behind the Screen: Experience the smoke and mirrors of music video effects, and see filmmakers’ mesmerizing tricks of the trade.
• Spectacle! Live!: Surprise performances will instantly transport you to the heart of some of the most move-inspiring music videos ever produced.
• We’re Gonna Pop Some Tags: Slip on your granddad’s clothes and step into Macklemore & Ryan Lewis’ Thrift Shop video with other partygoers to create the ultimate fanvid.
• Super secret special guests!
EMP wants us to have fun, yo. So dress as your favorite music icon or video character, outfit yourself in primary colors a la OK Go, find inspiration in the original Material Girl, or slap on aviators and a fake moustache to channel the Beastie Boys.